Some people love math. Others hate it. Some people excel at numbers and equations. Others can’t count past 10 without taking off their shoes. Those people have other skills math people envy.
Like anything else in life, we have to find an amusing side or we go crazy. Not everyone has a head for math but we can all appreciate the humor in difficult problems.
For those of us who can’t figure out our age without breaking about a calculator, we’ve put together some funny math quotes and jokes to get you past your fear of numbers.
Funny Math Quotes
Making math fun, or at least funny. We promise you won’t need to show your work!
1. I stopped understanding math when the alphabet decided to get involved
It’s enough to understand what the numbers mean, why did the letters need to jump in? many of us need it to be simple.
2. It’s easy to identify people who can’t count to ten. They’re in front of you in the supermarket express lane
~ June Henderson
Ah, that’s the reason people take the wrong check out lane. It’s not that they’re rude or don’t think the rules apply to them. It’s a simple matter of not being able to count. Shame, really.
3. For me, math class is like watching a foreign movie without subtitles
Just clicks and whirs. Nothing makes sense but there are a few smaller bits you recognize. The odd bit that makes you get the false hope of following what is happening.
4. Arithmetic is numbers you squeeze from your head to your hand to your pencil to your paper till you get the answer
~ Carl Sandburg
Some of us have to squeeze for a long time. Some of us are squeezing rocks. Some of us have a clean piece of paper all day.
5. If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then 9 times out of ten it will
~ Paul Harvey
This makes sense to all of you who don’t make any sense out of math. Maybe Paul needs a bit of help. He could use this website to find a better answer.
6. That awkward moment when you finish a math problem and your answer isn’t even one of the choices
~ Ritu Ghatourey
Now that adds up! That’s the solution many of us want. Too bad it isn’t an option. On some tests it is. D. None of the above.
7. I am still waiting for the day I’ll use mathematics integration in real life
~ Derrick Obedgiu
How many times! Well, if we understood math we might have an answer. As it is, we have no idea. But complicated math problems in real life, like fractions, are handled by the price scanner at the grocery store.
8. Mathematics is like love; a simple idea, but it can get complicated
Ho, boy! Can it get complicated! It’s why your social media pages allow you to choose that as an option. Too bad it isn’t an option on your algebra test.
- it’s complicated
A Plus! Woot! Woot! *holds up palm for a high seven* Wait, what?
9. Mathematics consists in proving the most obvious thing in the least obvious way
~ George Polya
If you say so. It’s the scenic route to grandma’s house. Watch out for wolves. Most of us see no rhyme or reason to even simple math problems, so taking the road less traveled is reserved for Robert Frost.
10. Are monsters good at math? No, unless you Count Dracula!
~ Every grade school kid in math class
Kids love this kind of thing. But their math problems revolved around Dick and Jane. They can make a joke about anything and thinks it’s funny.
11. If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is
You said a mouthful there, Unknown. Most people have a hard enough time figuring out life, don’t start throwing math into the equation. Math, equation. You see what we did there? Ya, you do!
12. Mathematics is a game played according to certain rules with meaningless marks on paper
~ David Hilbert
Like trying to put the crib together by reading the instructions in German. Is math a game? Aren’t games supposed to be fun? Whoever made up the rules needs to be grounded.
13. Obvious is the most dangerous word in mathematics
~ E.T. Bell
Not unlike when you read a murder mystery. You swore the butler did it. Until he was found dead in the pantry!
It’s like looking all over for your reading glasses and they are perched on top of your head.
14. There are two ways to do great mathematics. The first is to be smarter than everybody else. The second way is to be stupider than everybody else, but persistent
~ Raoul Bott
Is there a third option? Ask someone for help. Fourth option, go into the liberal arts. It’s hard to be persistent when you keep coming up with the wrong answer. I’ll take Theatre Arts for 1000, Alex.
15. Mathematics is made of 50 percent formulas, 50 percent proofs, and 50 percent imagination
Did they just miss the whole point? Or is that the whole point? Does this mean whatever answer we come up with is the right one? Yes, let’s go with that.
Add It Up
If you can’t laugh at math, who can you laugh at? math, like the ultimate bully in school. Made you stay after class, confused you, pushed you around and kept you from playing with the other kids.
We all come up against math problems at some point during our day, but we are never far from a calculator to help us out. We hardly need to think anymore, what with technology being what it is.
Thanks, Technology. Next time, just whip out your calculator and a few funny math quotes to easy the way, makes some people smile and show math who is really in charge.
For more fun quotes to get you through your day, please keep reading.