“Death is not extinguishing the light. It is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.” When preparing for a funeral, writing a eulogy can be difficult.
It can be really hard to find the right words. To help you with that during your most trying time, here are 15 quotes for funerals like the one above that you can draw inspiration from.
1. “Lives are like rivers: Eventually, they go where they must. Not where we want them to.”
– Richard Russo
A powerful quote suggesting that people follow different paths in life, go to different places, experience different things, and eventually, takes them where they can’t be followed.
2. “There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.”
– George Sand
The true happiness in life isn’t what you do, or what you see, but the love you spread and the love those give back. You see, love is like a vaccine, it infects those around you, and leaves them better for it.
3. “Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.”
– Ernest Hemmingway
Everyone dies, but everyone lives differently. It’s about how you live, and what you do before you die that truly matters.
4. “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, though, and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.”
– Leo Buscaglia
The people you love may die, but the impact they had on you when they were alive will always be with you. Everyone else is better off because that person lived.
5. “They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity. Death cannot kill what never dies.”
This is a similar type of quote. Death can end a person, but it can’t end the memories you made with them. It can’t kill the impact they had.
6. “In one sense there is no death. The life of a soul on earth lasts beyond departure. You will always feel that life touching yours, that voice speaking to you.He/She lives on in your life and in the lives of all others that knew him/her.”
Again, the impact the person had on you will live on long after they are gone. They will always live on in their actions and words.
7. “Seeing death as the end of life is like seeing the horizon as the end of the ocean.”
– David Searls
Death isn’t the end, you will meet each other again in the afterlife. There is no end of the road.
8. “Ever absent, ever near; Still I see thee, still I hear; Yet I cannot reach thee, dear!”
– Francis Kazinczy
Even though your loved one is dead it feels like a part of them are still with you. It’s like they are still walking along with you even though you see nothing, you can feel them.
9. “The journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take.”
– J.R.R. Tolkien
Death is another path that we all take in life. It isn’t the end, it’s a new beginning that we must all face eventually.
10. “Life has to end. Love doesn’t.”
– Mitch Albom
People die, but you will always love them. The love you feel for them will never end.
11. “How can the dead be truly dead when they still live in the souls of those who are left behind?”
– Carson McCullers
The dead never truly feel like they are gone. They live on in the people they leave behind. It’s a common theme among quotes of this nature.
12. “Let children walk with Nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communions of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is stingless indeed, and as beautiful as life.”
– John Muir
Let your children experience life, see what it has to offer and once they have experienced everything there is they will be satisfied at the end. They will greet death with a peaceful smile.
13. So say it loud and let it ring are all a part of everything future, present and the past fly on proud bird you’re free at last
– Charlie Daniels
You’ve experienced your life, you’ve come far and now it’s time for you to rest and be at peace.
14. “Who sleeps the longest is the happiest; Death is the longest sleep.”
– Thomas Southerne
Death is peaceful whereas the living world can be cruel and chaotic. You can’t hurt if you’re sleeping and death is a permanent sleep.
15. “Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal.”
– Thomas Moore
Any pain that your loved one was feeling in life, it will end in death. Once they’ve passed they will no longer feel.
You shouldn’t have to stress about leaving your loved ones with hefty funeral expenses. Visit http://topquotelifeinsurance.com for information about life insurance.
Feeling down? Here are a few quotes that might make you feel a bit better.
For more inspiring quotes, visit our blog here.
Meaningful Quotes For Funerals
Writing for a funeral is a painful and difficult process. There’s no shame in pulling from other writers for quotes for funerals.
Looking for more quotes? Explore our blog.