Love is complicated.
While it can be exhilarating and awe-inspiring, it can also be painful and confusing.
It can be hard to explain, and at times, you may feel as though no one could possibly understand how you feel. When you can’t quite find the right words to describe your feelings, famous quotes about love can sum it all up for you.
In this post, we’ll give you 20 of the most inspirational love quotes to make you feel understood.
Famous Love Quotes Everyone Can Relate to
Actors, poets, singers, artists, and even politicians have provided some of the best quotes about love.
1. “Love liberates. It doesn’t bind.” – Maya Angelou
The best kind of relationship makes you feel like the best version of yourself. You feel capable of doing anything because you have a supportive partner behind you.
Of course, you are bound together by your relationship, but it’s by choice. You’re not trapped or restricted. You’re free to be who you want to be.
2. “You deserve love, and you’ll get it” – Amy Poehler
These are comforting words for those who are single, heartbroken or in a loveless relationship.
After having several bad experiences or being single for a long period of time, it can be easy to start to doubt yourself. You may even begin to wonder if you’re really worthy of love. Amy Poehler’s quote reassures you that you are and that these feelings won’t last forever.
3. “If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn’t have fallen for the second.” – Johnny Depp
Do you think it’s possible to truly love two people at the same time? Johnny Depp doesn’t.
If you find yourself in this position, perhaps you’re struggling to let go of the first person simply because of a strong feeling of attachment, not love. After all, if it was true love, you would never have strayed.
4. “Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.” – Joan Crawford
As Johnny Cash famously sang, love is a burning thing.
It can light up your life, or it can send the whole thing up in flames. You’ll never know which one it is if you don’t take a risk.
5. “It takes courage to love, but pain through love is the purifying fire which those who love generously know. We all know people who are so much afraid of pain that they shut themselves up like clams in a shell and, giving out nothing, receive nothing and therefore shrink until life is a mere living death.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
There are lots more fiery quotes about love. Here’s another from Eleanor Roosevelt.
When you’ve been hurt, the fear of being burned again can cause you to completely shut yourself off to love. While taking time out for yourself and investing in self-care is important, you can’t remain closed off forever. If you do, you only end up hurting yourself.
6. “‘You’ll get over it…’ It’s the cliches that cause the trouble. To lose someone you love is to alter your life forever. You don’t get over it because ‘it’ is the person you loved. The pain stops, there are new people, but the gap never closes. How could it? The particularness of someone who mattered enough to grieve over is not made anodyne by death. This hole in my heart is in the shape of you and no-one else can fit it. Why would I want them to?” – Jeanette Winterson
This quote is for anyone who is mourning the death of a loved one.
People may tell you that you’ll get over it and that in time, you’ll find someone new. However, no one can replace the person you loved. You can’t speed up the grieving process, and no one can tell you how to feel when you’ve lost a partner.
7. “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” – Marilyn Monroe
Marilyn Monroe’s famously tumultuous love life has always been surrounded by gossip, mystery, and drama. While we’ll never be able to separate the truth from the rumors, we can certainly be sure that she knew a thing or two about love.
This quote lets us know that even our most painful experiences with love have meaning. They are part of the journey to finding something better.
8. “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.” – C.S. Lewis
In order to love fully, you have to experience heartbreak along the way. You have to open yourself up to the possibility of being hurt in order to fully embrace love and all it has to offer.
If you want to avoid getting hurt altogether, the only option is to harden yourself and your heart, refusing to let anyone in. Is that really worth it?
9. “Love is a mutual self-giving which ends in self-recovery.” – Fulton J. Sheen
A good relationship will heal your heart of all previous heartbreaks. As you keep investing in each other, you’ll find yourselves along the way.
10. “Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” – Oprah
If you feel as though your relationship is restricting you and putting you in a box, it’s time to get out. Break free from your confinements and find someone who will love you for who you really are.
11. “Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze.” – Elinor Glyn
When you’re in love with someone, doing even the most mundane tasks together can be fun. There’s a strange magic in just being together, talking for hours, and enjoying each other’s company.
12. “You only learn to love again when you fall in love again.” – Adele
Adele knows all about heartbreak, having made millions from turning hers into hit songs.
Listening to her music, you’d be forgiven for thinking that she’s perpetually heartbroken, but that’s not the case. She’s now happily married and has these words of comfort for those who are struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
13. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
It’s a cliche, but it’s true. You have to learn to love yourself before loving anyone else.
14. “You know it’s love when all you want is that person to be happy, even if you’re not part of their happiness.” – Julia Roberts
True love is wanting to make someone happy, no matter what the cost. Sometimes, that means letting someone go.
15. “Age does not protect you from love but love to some extent love protects you from age.” – Jeanne Moreau
No matter how old you are, love can make you feel like a teenager again. The wonderful thing about it is that you can experience it at any stage in your life.
16. “You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” – Sam Keen
No one is perfect, but when you’re in love with someone, you accept them for what they are. You see their flaws and love them anyway.
17. “The art of love is largely the art of persistence.” – Albert Ellis
The honeymoon phase doesn’t last forever. To make a relationship stand the test of time, you have to continuously put in the effort to keep it alive.
18. “Love is a friendship set to music.” – Joseph Campbell
Many people who are in love describe their partner as their best friend. A great relationship has all the qualities of a friendship, but with something magical about it.
19. “I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy” – Steve Martin
20. “The most desired gift of love is not diamonds or roses or chocolate. It is focused attention.” – Richard Warren
True love isn’t about showering someone with gifts. To make it work, you have to invest your time, energy and emotions into your partner. That’s what people really want.
Have these famous love quotes inspired you to inject some romance into your life?
Whether you’re trying to woo a prospective partner, win back an old flame, or spice up an existing relationship, words of wisdom like these can help.
Try using them in a text message to put a smile on someone’s face. Here are some more romantic love quotes to send over text.