Good news, stoners: Cannabis is now the most popular drug in the world, with somewhere between 119 million and 224 million adult users.
Pot usage is no longer something whispered about in secret; most of the stigma is gone. There’s still work to do, but for the most part, cannabis enthusiasts can afford to have high hopes right now.
We all know about celebrity enthusiasts like Snoop Dogg, but his new friend Martha Stewart has also said, “Of course I know how to roll a joint.”
Here are 6 more weed quotes worth remembering.
Weed Quotes from Actors and Singers
1. Nick Offerman is most known for playing gruff libertarian Ron Swanson on NBC’s Parks and Recreation. We never saw Ron Swanson lighting up, but the man who portrays him is definitely a fan of the stuff.
Check his book, Paddle Your Own Canoe, for proof: “Marijuana is quite possibly the finest of intoxicants. It has been scientifically proven, for decades, to be much less harmful to the body than alcohol when used on a regular basis [Google ‘Science’).”
2. Justin Timberlake got his start in boy band NSYNC, but nowadays, he a solo artist and sometimes actor who told Playboy magazine he “absolutely” partakes in pot. “Sometimes I have a brain that needs to be turned off. Some people are just better high.”
3. Then there’s Willie Nelson, a musical legend known almost as much for his stoner quotes as for his tunes. He’s gotten downright spiritual about the substance: “Marijuana is an herb and a flower. God put it here. If He put it here and He wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say that God is wrong?”
Writers on Weed
Writers often have an expansive vocabulary. In many cases, that includes a knowledge of certain marijuana terms.
4. Take gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, who said, “I have always loved marijuana. It has been a source of joy and comfort to me for many years.” He also called it “a basic staple of life.”
5. Stephen King is a horror icon who has been scaring audiences for decades. In a 1981 interview with High Times, he said he wasn’t smoking as much pot as he used to but still supported making it legal: “There’s some pretty good homegrown dope. I’m sure it would be even better if you could grow it with fertilizers and have greenhouses.”
6. Then there’s Carl Sagan, who had inspirational quotes about a lot more than the cosmos. He said, “The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”
Pretty deep, right? Pot can definitely make you think, but it can also make you sleepy, so feel free to take a nap if you need to process all that insight.
The Future of Pot Conversations
If those quotes about marijuana have you ready to take action, don’t let us stop you.
In fact, we may be able to help. Voting for pro-pot politicians is the best way to ensure that weed quotes of the future will refer to a substance that’s legal in all 50 states.
Check out our list of past political slogans while you think of your own ways to get involved in the political process.